Richard M. Stallman is glad Jobs is gone

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Oct 7 19:17:27 UTC 2011

On Fri, Oct 07, 2011 at 02:58:59PM -0400, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> I'm lobster friendly.  I'll eat them whenever they are available.
>
> Apple will use open source but isn't very good at giving back.
>
> - they like BSD licensed code because it doesn't force them to give
>   back.  The Darwin process is more open than required, but still
>   not very good.
>
> - when they used GPLed code, they have a long term plan to migrate
>   away.  Example: migrating from GCC.  Example: migrating from Samba
>   Domain Server stuff (I don't know enough about this to even get the
>   description right).

That's probably their main reason for wanting to move from GCC, although
GCC isn't a very good compiler to begin with so there are probably other
reasons too.

> - the only reason that their Objective C front-end to GCC was released
>   was because Stallman or his proxies forced them to recognize that
>   the GPL applied.

Actually they didn't.  They blackmailed Next.  Unfortunately the GPL
really didn't apply to that situation.

> Using Open Source doesn't get you many points in my book unless you
> intend to give something back.

At least Google does controbute back changes for the open source they use
as infrastructure.  Their own code for the core business on the other hand
they keep to themselves.  But that stuff isn't open source to begin with.

--
Len Sorensen