Richard M. Stallman is glad Jobs is gone

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Oct 7 18:46:42 UTC 2011

On Fri, Oct 07, 2011 at 02:43:30PM -0400, Neil Watson wrote:
> Ironically, AFAIK, the Iphone is the only phone that whose address book
> can come from any LDAP compatible source.  Similarly the Iphone is also
> the only phone that natively supports any CalDAV service you care to
> use.
>
> I don't think that Apple is any more or less closed than most other
> corporations, save perhaps Red Hat.

Anyone could write and release a program for the Palm Pilot.

Anyone can do so for a Windows PC.

Anyone can do so for a Linux PC, BSD, AIX, etc.

Anyone can do so for Symbian based phones.

Anyone can do so for java supporting phones.

Only those people and applications approved by Apple can release
applications for the iphone/ipad/ipod.  And they can only be released
through Apple, and Apple wants a 30% cut, and wants to set all the rules
on what and how your application does things.

Not sure about Android, but I hate that too.

--
Len Sorensen