Richard M. Stallman is glad Jobs is gone

Alejandro Imass aimass-EzYyMjUkBrFWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Fri Oct 7 18:31:34 UTC 2011

On Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 2:11 PM, Lennart Sorensen
> On Fri, Oct 07, 2011 at 01:42:41PM -0400, Thomas Milne wrote:
>> Seriously?? Can't he keep his mouth shut for 3 seconds? Guy needs to
>> learn to choose his battles.
>>
>> http://stallman.org/archives/2011-jul-oct.html#06_October_2011_(Steve_Jobs)
>
> Stallman is quite the nut job.
>
> Unfortunately I think I actually agree with him for once.  Eek.  Not a
> very nice way to say it though.
>
> I do actually have a vague hope Apple just might become a nicer company
> now, but I am not very optimistic.

It's nicer than many others. Their technology is sound and they use a
lot of Open Source. MacOSX is practically based on FreeBSD and you can
run most of FBSD's ports on the Mac using MacPorts. We interchangeably
use Debian and Ubuntu Workstations with Mac workstations and FreeBSD
servers. I think each one has it's strengths and weaknesses,

What we don't use _at all_ is crapy Microsoft software or any Oracle
products either.

I personally see Apple as Open Source friendly and their products are
really high quality. Don't get me wrong though we love Linux and we
also love cheap hardware, but we also love Apple.

Besides, I don't know what rms is complaining so much about Steve
Jobs. For example he opened Next Step with Sun and created Open Step
from which GNU Step directly derives. I remember using GNU Step with
Linux when Gnome and KDE where in their infancy, and where do you
think many ideas for the latter came from?

All the zealotry is really stupid. Maybe we should we stop using
TCP/IP or the Internet because it was built by and for the military?