Stupid RAID question

William Muriithi william.muriithi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 4 22:52:42 UTC 2011

> No I don't consider that a scam.  Most consumers don't use raid, so if
> the drive can recover from a failing sector by trying multiple reads to
> see if it can get lucky, then that makes it a better drive.
>
> The fact raid systems have a time limit on a drive responding makes the
> above behaviour undesirable when using it in a raid.
>
> So the two uses have mutually exclusive needs.

Hmm, good explaination. I was not aware about this stuff. In short, they
sell the less intelligent drive more expensive to discourage consumers from
buying them.

One follow up question, does this too apply to linux software RAID? I mean,
would software RAID eject a drive for taking too long to respond?

> To some extent I think WD sells raid edition drives for more money than
> non raid drives just to make sure consumers don't buy them thinking
> "raid drives must be better or faster so I will use that" and end up
> with a much less reliable drive in their single drive system.  People that
> need them will know what they need and get the right one.  Now I would
> prefer the old method where a software tool or a jumper could change
> the behaviour, but unfortunately we don't get that option anymore.
>
> --
> Len Sorensen

William