Where can I get older PCI video cards in the GTA?

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 29 22:23:25 UTC 2011

  First a bit of background.  After the revelation that the lead
developers for udev want to require that /usr be on the same partition
as / (or else use /initramfs) I looked for a way to dump udev entirely.
Since I didn't know whether it would even boot up, I tested on an older
Dell.  Following instructions I picked up on the Gentoo Developers'
list. I replaced udev with busybox's mdev under Gentoo, and it works
just fine so far.  I want to use it as my everyday machine for extended
testing.  The only problem is that I've subscribed to NHL GameCenter
Live and the onboard GPU (82G33/G31 Express Integrated Graphics
Controller) in this older Dell is not powerful enough to keep up with
hockey in fullscreen mode.  On my newer i3 machine, I've got a choice
between 3 megabits and "adaptive" on the NHL control panel.  On the
older machine, that choice is greyed out, and the picture will often
stutter in fullscreen mode.

  I said to myself "No problem, I've got a PCI video card kicking
around.  I'll stick it in and I'm set".  Unfortunately, PCI slots seem
to have changed over the years, and the video card doesn't fit into the
slots on the older Dell.  I don't know the names of the specs, but as
they say "a picture is worth a thousand words".  First a picture of the
slots in the older Dell...
http://clients.teksavvy.com/~walterdnes/misc/slots.jpg
Next is a snap of an older firewire card (left) which fits the slot, and
the spare video card (right) which does not fit...
http://clients.teksavvy.com/~walterdnes/misc/cards.jpg

  Where can I get a PCI video card that fits into the PCI slots on the
old Dell?  And I'd obviously prefer something with opensource drivers
for linux.  It would be a shame to throw out an otherwise perfectly good
machine.