gnome-tweak-tool

Thomas Milne thomas.bruce.milne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 29 21:48:18 UTC 2011

On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 11:05 AM, Michael Hill <mdhillca-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 9:30 AM, Thomas Milne
> <thomas.bruce.milne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 4:31 PM, Michael Hill <mdhillca-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:

>>> I've added experimental to sources.list; does anyone know what to pin
>>> these days to get 3.2 installed?  I still seem to have a mixture.
>>
>> I'm not sure about that, but when I was on #debian-gnome the other day
>> someone was saying that 3.2 is coming to _Testing_ really soon, so we
>> should not have to wait very long on Unstable, right?
>
> Right!  I was just hoping someone could tell me how to reconcile the
> pinning in /etc/apt/preferences.d/gnome from here:
>
> http://raphaelhertzog.com/2011/06/16/installing-gnome-3-on-debian-6-0-squeeze-no-sorry/

I think those instructions might be a bit out of date now, but I'm not
the authority on that.

> ...with the packages I need that are ready here:
>
> http://www.0d.be/debian/debian-gnome-3.2-status.html

I tried it with pinning like so:

/etc/apt/preferences

Package: *
Pin: release a=unstable
Pin-Priority: 900

Package: *
Pin: release a=experimental
Pin-Priority: 600

#unstable
deb http://debian.mirror.iweb.ca/debian/ unstable main non-free contrib
deb-src http://debian.mirror.iweb.ca/debian/ unstable main non-free contrib

deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org unstable main

deb-src http://www.debian-multimedia.org unstable main

#experimental

deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian experimental main

but got this:

node1:/home/joehill# apt-get -t experimental install gnome-shell
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

 gnome-shell : Depends: gir1.2-folks-0.6 but it is not going to be installed
               Depends: gir1.2-gee-1.0 but it is not installable
               Depends: gir1.2-glib-2.0 (>= 1.31) but 0.10.8-2+b1 is
to be installed
               Depends: gir1.2-gmenu-3.0 but it is not installable
               Depends: libedataserverui-3.0-1 (>= 3.2.1) but it is
not going to be installed
               Depends: gir1.2-accountsservice-1.0 but it is not installable
               Depends: gir1.2-caribou-1.0 but it is not installable
               Recommends: gnome-contacts but it is not going to be installed
E: Broken packages

--
Thomas Milne