Graphical bootloader /w mouse support

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 3 15:47:34 UTC 2011

On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 10:15 PM, Stewart C. Russell <scruss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On 11-11-02 14:41 , Lennart Sorensen wrote:
>>
>> Could it be made to use a mouse?  Perhaps, but whyever would you want to?
>> The keyboard is a much faster and more accurate selection device.
>
> Bit ableist there, eh, Lennart?

Hmm.  More likely the converse.

It takes rather more physical dexterity to control the position a
mouse than it does to manipulate a switch.

Even the severely disabled retain control over the soft palette, which
can be used to control a switch.  They'd be hard pressed to get a
mouse to move.

And the coding to recognize signals from the plethora of mice out
there (have you looked at the page of different hardware options for
xorg lately?) is rather larger than is needed for recognizing keyboard
control.  I'd not be surprised if adding mouse support would multiply
the size of the code base for a bootloader, dwarfing the other code.