udev reorders assignment [was Re: Solved Debian update - keyboard responsive, Lennart Sorrenson not so much]

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 3 15:31:05 UTC 2011

On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 9:16 AM, Russell Reiter <rreiter91-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 10:52 PM, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> All of this is only of historic interest now.  BSD won a long long
>> time ago.  It is good enough.  I read Plan 9's marketplace failure as
>> demonstrating that doing things right isn't enough of a win for folks
>> to change.
>
> I like history it helps to plan for the future.
>
> How did Minix fit into things? Was it a precursor for Plan 9? Isn't
> that what Linus Torvalds was working from when he started writing the
> drivers for intel chipsets?
>
> I understand that Minix was developed, maybe not entirely but at least
> in part here in Toronto at UofT.

At UofT?  Hardly.

It was developed at Vrije Universiteit by Andrew Tanembaum.  No
material Toronto connections.

There's a connection with Linux, in that Linus Torvalds created Linux
as something of a followup to Minix, as he was keen on hacking on
80386 stuff, and Tanembaum wasn't keen on that kind of
non-portability.

Plan 9 comes from a quite completely different direction; it was
created at Bell Labs as a successor to UNIX.  Linux has adopted a few
bits of Plan 9, but it's of a radically different "lineage;" no common
'genetic material.'