Debian: Broken packages, bug

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 1 21:59:37 UTC 2011

On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 3:55 PM, Thomas Milne
<thomas.bruce.milne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> The only real limitation I run into is the idiotic Canadian ban on
> streaming other country's TV shows, like from Comedy Central and so
> on.

The cause of this isn't any "idiotic ban," but rather the matter of
copyright rights.

Comedy Central sold rights to various of their programs to The Comedy
Network, and, as part of the agreement, agreed not to broadcast the
material directly to Canada.

The law is an indirect operator here.  It's not that the CRTC won't
let Comedy Central do anything, rather, it's that if they *did*
broadcast to us, they'd be violating contracts they signed with The
Comedy Network.

It may be disappointing to us as Canadian would-be-viewers.

It's conceivably possible that Comedy Central has made foolish
choices, though that is by no means obvious, particularly if they're
getting paid decently by The Comedy Network.

But it's more than just a stretch to characterize it as an "idiotic
Canadian ban," when that's not likely to be correctively descriptive
of what's going on, notably in the sense of being a "Canadian ban."