Debian: Broken packages, bug

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 1 14:20:47 UTC 2011

On Tue, Nov 01, 2011 at 08:53:51AM -0400, Thomas Milne wrote:
> Yeah, but this is the line that's important:
>
>  #646325 - gstreamer0.10-gconf needs to replace gstreamer0.10-plugins-good

Well that bug will certainly cause a problem for apt/dpkg, but not
a problem for the actual program once installed.

The suggestion of removing the gstreamer packages and installing them
again would almost certainly get around this bug.

If possible, remove 'gstreamer0.10-plugins-good', then run 'apt-get -f
install' again, and let it install the package (even though there is a bug
report), then you should be able to install 'gstreamer0.10-plugins-good'.
Unfortunately removing 'gstreamer0.10-plugins-good' will take out a
large chunk of gnome among other things.

Probably the simplest solution is to download the new version of
gstreamer0.10-plugins-good and installing it, then running apt-get to
fix the rest.

So something like:
wget http://ftp.ca.debian.org/debian/pool/main/g/gst-plugins-good0.10/gstreamer0.10-plugins-good_0.10.30-1_amd64.deb (or i386 if that is what you are running)
dpkg -i gstreamer0.10-plugins-good_0.10.30-1_amd64.deb
apt-get -f install

Basicly the new version (0.10.30 rather than 0.10.24) no longer has
the conflicting file that is preventing gstreamer0.10-gconf 0.10.30
from installing.

> I see absolutely nothing in what I've posted that has anything to do
> with mime types.

I don't either.

--
Len Sorensen