[OT] Bittorrent and Networking

Andrej Marjan andrej-igvx78u1SeH3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 1 02:42:31 UTC 2011

On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 11:19 AM, Thomas Milne <thomas.bruce.milne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
> wrote:

> I have two linux machines on my network, with a Linksys WRT54G router
> (running Tomato). If I run Transmission bittorrent client on one
> machine, it's okay, but if both are running Transmission, the whole
> network grinds to a halt. Even if I put a speed limit on both clients,
> so that each only uses a small percentage of the bandwidth (admittedly
> slim at around 2 Mb), it is still impossible to do anything else on
> the network.

When you say "the network", are you referring to the LAN or just your
Internet uplink? If the latter, then it could be the total number of
connections issue. The old Linksys routers don't have much RAM, and each
connection takes some memory to track. Maybe you're exhausting the
available RAM on the router.