[OT] Bittorrent and Networking

Thomas Milne thomas.bruce.milne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 1 02:40:14 UTC 2011

That I have not tried, in fact I think at one point some time ago I
might have _increased_ the number of connections on one of the
clients. I'll experiment with that as well, thanks.

In the end, though, what I'd like to try is a router configuration
that guarantees a certain amount of bandwidth to each machine, or
something like that. I'm hesitant to start tampering with the router
too much without a bit more of a clue :-)

On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 11:47 AM, Do-Ming Lum <do.ming.lum-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> In addition to limiting speed, did you also limit the number of connections
> used by each client?  I have found (on Windows not LInux), that if I limit
> the number of connections that my bittorrent client uses to between 80 and
> 160 connections, I don't actually need to limit the speed.
>
> On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 11:39 AM, Ori Idan <ori-RdxWQVHs3mjDN57Tih+YPw at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>>

>> On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 5:19 PM, Thomas Milne
>> <thomas.bruce.milne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> I have two linux machines on my network, with a Linksys WRT54G router
>>> (running Tomato). If I run Transmission bittorrent client on one
>>> machine, it's okay, but if both are running Transmission, the whole
>>> network grinds to a halt. Even if I put a speed limit on both clients,
>>> so that each only uses a small percentage of the bandwidth (admittedly
>>> slim at around 2 Mb), it is still impossible to do anything else on
>>> the network.
>>>
>>> Has anyone encountered a situation like this? I am a total beginner
>>> when it comes to configuring routers, beyond port forwarding.
>>
>> Did you limit both upload and download speeds?
>> It might be that two bittorents are sending a lot of data and that slows
>> down the network.
>>
>> --
>> Ori Idan
>>

>>> --
>>> Thomas Milne
>>> --
>>> The Toronto Linux Users Group.      Meetings: http://gtalug.org/
>>> TLUG requests: Linux topics, No HTML, wrap text below 80 columns

Thomas Milne