Creating /home

Stephen stephen-d-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu May 19 01:06:33 UTC 2011

So I had /home on a failing drive.

I used usermod -d /path/to/new/homedir/ username

to move *my* home drive to another volume, and copied the data. This was
until I could ...

I swapped the drive with a good one (thanks WP) and now want to return
to a more or less normal structure.

I mounted the new volume as /storage2tb

I want to mkdir /storage2tb/home and use that as a normal home directory.

Is that sufficient for Ubuntu to create new user accounts there? Or do I
need specify somewhere that home is /storage2tb/home ?

And what permissions should I give to /storage2tb/home ?

Thanks
Stephen