backend

john.moniz-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org john.moniz-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Tue May 17 19:08:30 UTC 2011

Thanks. It seems to happen after doing a system test, which is what happened in my case. It also seems particular to Ubuntu 10.04, although I'm not totally sure about that. I'm always confounded how it is that Ubuntu has some many weird bugs that last long after a release.

Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 14:18:44 -0400
From: stephen-d-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
To: tlug-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org
Subject: Re: [TLUG]: backend

    Message body

    Google "linux backend 100 cpu"

    There is lots of info.

    On 11-05-17 01:57 PM, john.moniz-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org wrote:

      I am just about finished setting up a PC for my in-laws. I happen
      to notice that "backend" is using up over 90% of the cpu. Checking
      backend on the man pages tells me that backend has something to do
      with cups. I haven't set up any printers as yet, haven't even
      called up cups.

      I did, however, set up a Zip drive, which uses the ppa module, but
      it isn't even connected at the moment. Could it have something to
      do with the Zip drive? I don't particularly want something using
      up almost 100% of the cpu when the PC is pretty well idle.

      Thanks for any ideas.

      John.