Anyone tried Bell's Fibe TV?

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon May 16 12:16:33 UTC 2011

D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> As I understand it, more is shared with cable than with ADSL.  In
> theory that means that things like traffic shaping on ADSL could vary
> by ISP (but Bell has chosen not to do that) whereas it is likely
> traffic shaping policies need to be the same for all ISPs.

The main difference is that the local connection is not shared with
ADSL.  Once you hit the DSLAM everything is shared, as with any other
connection method.  That said, when testing with "speedtest" (actually
bandwidth) sites, I always get close to the advertised rate.  On the
other hand, ADSL performance is very dependent on distance from the
DSLAM and cable quality and as as result sold as "up to", but very often
not met.

Another advantage with Rogers is the IP address is virtually static and
the host name is constant, as it's determined by cable modem and
computer/firewall MAC addresses.  However, this results in a very long
host name, so I use an alias on a DNS server to give it an easy to
remember name on my own domain.