Wither TeX? (was Re:Last typewriter factory in the world shuts its doors)

Russell Reiter rreiter91-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu May 12 12:36:11 UTC 2011

I saw an interesting TV show on the future of the publishing industry.
In that discussion, it was a selection of authors and publishers who
were talking about their various experiences. When they rounded up,
the central idea seemd to be that; as the cost of delivering the
writing to the audience converged with next to zero, so did the value
of the content decline.

All present were bemoaning their decrease in income sources as the
digital transport of ideas takes hold in our collective consciousness.
Fewer and fewer people buy books. I think that soon only those who
must have books, will have books. The overhead in production is too
great and even the space they use in storage will come at a premium.

Thirty years ago a lawyer would charge two to three times what it
costs to convey a house today. Their declining income is based in
part, on their ablility to access POLARIS land records online and as
well use tools like Purview to do a risk analysis of any property.
This used to be done by staff. A forty year search is now done
onlline, not days or weeks in the land records office. Property
analysis reports are available in seconds. However these reports
rarely see the light of day on paper. They are mostly viewed on
computer screens and if printed they are audited and shredded,
sometimes in almost the same moment.

To keep this post about linux.

If nroff, groff and troff are part of that set of original computer
type format languages, kind of like the first typewriters, does that
make LateX the Linotype machine of electronic publication?

Russell