(question) Encrypting a single file

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Mon Mar 28 01:41:20 UTC 2011

On 3/27/2011 9:19 PM, Rajinder Yadav wrote:
> Emacs has an interface for gunpg
>
> http://emacs-fu.blogspot.com/2011/02/keeping-your-secrets-secret.html
>
>  keeping your secrets secret
>
> If you want to keep your secrets secret, it is a good idea to
> encrypt your data; I usually do that for files with passwords for
> various services, banking data, and so on. Since version 23, Emacs
> includes a package called EasyPG (an interface to GnuPG) which makes
> this seamless – just make sure that you have GnuPG installed.
>
> It's easy to use EasyPG – the only thing you need to do is adding
> the .gpg -extension to your files, and EasyPG will automatically
> encrypt/decrypt them when writing/reading. So, for example, to create
> an encrypted org-mode-file, simply visit (C-x C-f) a file with a name
> like myfile.org.gpg; emacs opens this in Org-Mode (just like any
> .org-file). When you want to save the file, emacs will ask you for a
> password, and with this same password, you can open it again. Don't
> forget that password!

I had to set a variable to get Emacs 23 on Windows 7 to recognize GPG:

 '(epg-gpg-program "Z:\\GNU\\GnuPG\\gpg.exe"))

After that, it works as advertised.

 (In case anyone cries foul about me using Windows, Z: is my primary
ext3 Linux drive, where I store all my data, which I have r/w access to
in Windows using ext2fsd).

Jamon