(question) Encrypting a single file

Rajinder Yadav devguy.ca-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Mar 28 01:19:55 UTC 2011

On 11-03-18 02:06 PM, William Park wrote:
> Hi, I'm currently keeping all personal infos (ie. contacts, accounts,
> passwords, pins, etc.) on paper address book.  I would like to store
> them on a single textfile.  How do you encrypt/decrypt a single file?
>
> I used "cryptsetup" before, but that's for entire partition.  I guess I
> can use password option in "zip", but that's so old fashion. :-)

Emacs has an interface for gunpg

http://emacs-fu.blogspot.com/2011/02/keeping-your-secrets-secret.html

keeping your secrets secret

If you want to keep your secrets secret, it is a good idea to encrypt
your data; I usually do that for files with passwords for various
services, banking data, and so on. Since version 23, Emacs includes a
package called EasyPG (an interface to GnuPG) which makes this seamless
– just make sure that you have GnuPG installed.

It's easy to use EasyPG – the only thing you need to do is adding the
.gpg -extension to your files, and EasyPG will automatically
encrypt/decrypt them when writing/reading. So, for example, to create an
encrypted org-mode-file, simply visit (C-x C-f) a file with a name like
myfile.org.gpg; emacs opens this in Org-Mode (just like any .org-file).
When you want to save the file, emacs will ask you for a password, and
with this same password, you can open it again. Don't forget that password!

[read more from the blog]

--
Kind Regards,
Rajinder Yadav | http://DevMentor.org | Do Good! ~ Share Freely