(question) Encrypting a single file

Charles Philip Chan cpchan-CzeTG9NwML0 at public.gmane.org
Fri Mar 25 10:41:35 UTC 2011

Rajinder Yadav <devguy.ca-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> writes:

> On 11-03-18 02:06 PM, William Park wrote:
>> Hi, I'm currently keeping all personal infos (ie. contacts, accounts,
>> passwords, pins, etc.) on paper address book.  I would like to store
>> them on a single textfile.  How do you encrypt/decrypt a single file?

One solution is to use gpg. You can either use public key for encryption
(asymmetric) or use a symmetric cipher if you pass it the "-c" argument.

For example to encrypt asymmetrically (you keyring must be setup for
this), just do:

,----
| gpg -e <file>
`----

To encrypt symmetric, do:

,----
| gpg -c <file>
`----

To decrypt, do:

,----
| gpg <encrypted file>
`----

If you use Emacs, you can set it up to encrypt/decrypt automatically.

> I would suggest you take a look at truecrypt, I use it on windows and
> linux and it allows you to encrypt a drive, partition, file based
> drive (file-system), usb drive.
>
> in your case you could create a file with truecrypt, mount that file
> as a file-system and then read and write file to it.

This sound very convoluted just for one file.

Charles

(By Vance Petree, Virginia Power)