(question) Encrypting a single file

Rajinder Yadav devguy.ca-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Mar 25 02:15:26 UTC 2011

On 11-03-18 02:06 PM, William Park wrote:
> Hi, I'm currently keeping all personal infos (ie. contacts, accounts,
> passwords, pins, etc.) on paper address book.  I would like to store
> them on a single textfile.  How do you encrypt/decrypt a single file?
>
> I used "cryptsetup" before, but that's for entire partition.  I guess I
> can use password option in "zip", but that's so old fashion. :-)

I would suggest you take a look at truecrypt, I use it on windows and
linux and it allows you to encrypt a drive, partition, file based drive
(file-system), usb drive.

in your case you could create a file with truecrypt, mount that file as
a file-system and then read and write file to it.

when you mount the file-system, you need to enter a password. an
unmounted file system is encrypted. you can even have hidden file system
within a file system.

http://www.truecrypt.org/

it's free and opensource =)

--