[OT] Linda McQuaig on Bill Gates

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 23 03:05:59 UTC 2011

On 3/22/2011 9:47 PM, Thomas Milne wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 8:34 PM, CLIFFORD ILKAY
> <clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> I also heard that he tore the labels off mattresses, jaywalked, and
>> mixed colours with whites in the wash.
>
> Okay, he never murdered anyone...but the billions of dollars that he
> has amassed and hero status are not deserved, which is the point of
> all this. He cannot claim to be a 'self-made man' or that he was the
> progenitor of the home PC revolution.
>
> I've never put much stock in the whole 'great man' theory of history
> anyway. Even someone like Einstein had to base his ideas on the
> thousands of years of scientific progress before him.

Why doesn't he deserve his success? He played the game, played it well
and came out on top based on the opportunities that his situation
afforded him and the subsequent success of his company. None of us did
that. I'd put money on most people acting the same way in a similar set
of circumstances.

In the end, I don't mind Microsoft, or Apple, or Oracle or company XYZ.
Someone has to run the world's computers, and the more of them there
are, the more of us have work to do. Of course it wouldn't hurt any of
us if more systems ran Linux ;)

Jamon