Odd networking problem

Peter King peter.king-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Tue Mar 22 20:15:38 UTC 2011

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 02:51:18PM -0400, William Muriithi wrote:

> > On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 10:17 PM, Peter King <peter.king-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> Thanks to one and all for the suggestions. Still no joy.
> >>
> >> The installation of OS X on a netbook is indeed a hack, but it had been
> >> running smoothly with no problems for over three months before developing
> >> network, umm, issues.
>
> Ah, I see.  I now get it.  You are forcing OSX on unsupported
> hardware.  This is most likely a driver's issue or the network stack
> is broken somewhere.  Its most likely the later if you can not connect
> using the wireless card either.
>
> May be you should abandon OSX and keep on using Linux.  Never tried
> using OSX on unsupported hardware, I basically do not feel its worth
> the effort

Ahh... where's your geek spirit? It's fun to make things work on new hardware.

The wireless works perfectly, so the network stack isn't broken. Perhaps the
ethernet driver is broken/corrupted, though reinstallation of the driver does
not solve the problem, which is why I suspect it's a configuration issue. It
may well not be. But I don't know enough about OS X to know; perhaps someone
on the list does.

Peter King			 	peter.king-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Department of Philosophy
170 St. George Street #521
The University of Toronto		    (416)-978-4951 ofc
Toronto, ON  M5R 2M8
       CANADA

http://individual.utoronto.ca/pking/

GPG keyID 0x7587EC42 (2B14 A355 46BC 2A16 D0BC  36F5 1FE6 D32A 7587 EC42)
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 7587EC42