Grokking Debian

Dave Mason dmason-bqArmZWzea/GcjXNFnLQ/w at public.gmane.org
Tue Mar 22 15:22:26 UTC 2011

I've been programming for 40 years, teaching Computer Science for 30, doing Linux sysadmin since the early Slackware days (call it 15 years) and Unix admin for 10 years before that, but Debian continues to frustrate me, although I'm convinced it's "the right thing".

My current challenge: I have the following sources.list:

deb http://ftp.ca.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main
deb-src http://ftp.ca.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main
deb http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main
deb http://mirror.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/debian-multimedia/ squeeze main
deb-src http://mirror.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/debian-multimedia/ squeeze main

apt-get update gives no errors, 13 Get lines,

and this page, http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/v4l-utils , describes the availability of v4l-utils in squeeze.

But:

: ~ ; sudo apt-get install v4l-utils
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package v4l-utils is not available, but is referred to by another package.
is only available from another source

E: Package 'v4l-utils' has no installation candidate

*What* am I doing wrong?

*sigh*

../Dave--