SATA problem

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Mar 22 01:30:36 UTC 2011

I was wanting to add a couple extra drives to one of my systems, and
apparently picked up the wrong sort of SATA controller.  Docs out on
the "interweb" are a bit less up to date than seems useful.

I grabbed a Bytecc generic card:
<http://canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=19_252_254&item_id=021549>

This is using a VIA 6421 chipset, which seems supported as part of the
"sata_via" driver, but it doesn't recognize my drives.  That seems
vaguely consistent with this:
<http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1600508>

Is there some particular cheap-ish controller I ought to go looking for?

FYI, here's current kernel info...
wolfe:~# uname -a
Linux wolfe 2.6.30-2-amd64 #1 SMP Mon Dec 7 05:21:45 UTC 2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Perhaps I need to update to a rather newer kernel...