"safe" android phone?

Digimer linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 16 20:51:07 UTC 2011

On 03/16/2011 04:41 PM, Andrej Marjan wrote:
> Hello, recent events have led me to want to get a smartphone with an
> Internet connection. Initial research of the Android space seems to
> indicate an unholy mess of manufacturer and carrier customization,
> bastardization, and refusal to provide software updates. Leaving the
> consumer either marooned, or warranty-less after rooting their phone.
> I consider both alternatives undesirable.
>
> It seems the only "safe" and reasonably high quality Android phones
> are the Nexuses, but those don't appear to be available through any of
> the major carriers. I'm beginning to see the massive appeal of the
> iPhone - if you don't mind Apple's heavy hand and the itunes mess, you
> get a pretty powerful pocket computer that Just Works.
>
> What am I missing? I know there are numerous Android users on this
> list; how are you all navigating this situation?
>
> Thanks in advance for any advice or insight.
>
> Andrej

The thing with the Nexi is that you usually have to buy the phone
directly; No subsidization. I've got the N1 though and *love* it. More,
it's *my* phone; Not the manufacturer's, not the carrier's, but mine.
What that is worth to you is an individual choice, of course. :)

--
Digimer
E-Mail: digimer-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
AN!Whitepapers: http://alteeve.com