"safe" android phone?

Andrej Marjan andrej-igvx78u1SeH3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 16 20:41:45 UTC 2011

Hello, recent events have led me to want to get a smartphone with an
Internet connection. Initial research of the Android space seems to
indicate an unholy mess of manufacturer and carrier customization,
bastardization, and refusal to provide software updates. Leaving the
consumer either marooned, or warranty-less after rooting their phone.
I consider both alternatives undesirable.

It seems the only "safe" and reasonably high quality Android phones
are the Nexuses, but those don't appear to be available through any of
the major carriers. I'm beginning to see the massive appeal of the
iPhone - if you don't mind Apple's heavy hand and the itunes mess, you
get a pretty powerful pocket computer that Just Works.

What am I missing? I know there are numerous Android users on this
list; how are you all navigating this situation?

Thanks in advance for any advice or insight.

Andrej