Gentoo -- help

Peter King peter.king-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Thu Mar 10 20:32:39 UTC 2011

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 11:09:45AM -0500, William Park wrote:

> Thanks Walter, but I gave up already.  I thought you start with minimal
> install, and run some command to start compiling process, and just sit
> back and watch.

Gentoo isn't like that -- quite the opposite: it insists on your knowing
a fair amount. At the end of the day you are very knowledgeable. It's not
always easy to get through the day, though. It's not a distro for dabbling.

The brand-new Gentoo LiveDVD was designed to show the sorts of things that
are possible with gentoo. But really they are the sorts of things that are
possible with Linux in more or less any distribution. What gives gentoo the
appeal it has is low-level control over the whole of your system, including
freedom from other people's choices about binaries. I find that I wind up
modifying source code about once every six weeks or so. But I never get
stuck waiting for someone else to update a dependency, or wishing they
wouldn't compile in certain dependencies, the way it happens with other
distributions.

You also get to spend recreational time watching gcc do its magic!

Peter King			 	peter.king-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Department of Philosophy
170 St. George Street #521
The University of Toronto		    (416)-978-4951 ofc
Toronto, ON  M5R 2M8
       CANADA

http://individual.utoronto.ca/pking/

GPG keyID 0x7587EC42 (2B14 A355 46BC 2A16 D0BC  36F5 1FE6 D32A 7587 EC42)
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 7587EC42