Job lead at Teranet

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Jun 16 17:51:15 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 05:44:03PM +0000, Christopher Browne wrote:
> It makes me wonder how political the position is...
>
> If you've got to start by jumping through hoops on convincing the
> hiring managers that you qualify, contrary to your actual
> qualifications, and throw in the factor that they were some
> combination of ignorant and dishonest about what qualifications are
> actually needed, that doesn't seem like a notably auspicious start.

I actually got the impression that it may just be a shop with a lot of
mixed old stuff to maintain.  If you are used to unix systems, the
variety shouldn't really be that bad to deal with.  The potential csh
versus ksh versus bash is a bit annoying, as is the BSD versus SysV
style of some commands.  But for the most part LVM is LVM and
virtualization is virtualization.  The p5 systems could be a bit tricky
for someone not experienced in ibm power systems, although an HMC helps
(but isn't required).

I don't think I read all of it, but I didn't spot any database admin
keywords, so at least that's good.  Those add a whole other level of
complexity to things.  Of course I could have just missed them.

--
Len Sorensen