Looking for Speakers or Topics

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Jun 15 18:33:00 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 6:23 PM, CLIFFORD ILKAY
<clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> * What metrics are important? (Hint: It's not weight, within reason.)

I recently got rather irritated; did a "fitness test" at the YMCA, and
concluded that about 80% of the things that they were measuring were
almost exclusively perfectly correlated with weight, which means that
those measurements were pretty well redundant.

Notably...
- How high can one jump?
- How many pushups?
- Running test...

If all they're trying to say is "oh, you need to lose some weight,"
they only need one of those tests.  But the question of whether my
legs, arms, or other bits are relatively stronger/weaker than hoped
for shouldn't be so biased by weight.

> * Why now is better than later. The longer you delay, the harder it is to
> reverse the damage you've already caused to your body. What is that damage?
> (And it isn't the usual, "It's bad for your heart.", etc.)
>
> * How to stay motivated. (Hint: It can't be "Sigh... I have to lose
> weight."))

Agreed.  See above!  :-)

> Granted, this is not about Linux but if you don't have your health, your
> Linux skills aren't going to matter very much. I can be available for a talk
> in September or later.

That sounds like a pretty neat idea to me.

>From the Princess Bride:
Count Rugen: Get some rest. If you haven't got your health, then you
haven't got anything.