OTA HD [ was: [OT] HDTV recommendations? ]

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon Jun 13 20:22:36 UTC 2011

Dave Germiquet wrote:
> Can someone tell me, do Analog AIr Waves really fill up the spectrum?
> And if it does, what other plans are for them?
>
> Like why are we clearing them up? Is there something else that needs them.
>
> I kinda like Analog OTA.

An analog channel occupies 6 MHz of spectrum.  That same spectrum can be
used for a HD channel and a couple of SDs.  However the difference in
technologies make it possible to pack the stations closer together.
With analog, you couldn't have adjacent channels in the same market, as
they'd interfere with each other.  This problem is not significant with
digital.  The channels above 51 will be used for cell phones etc in the
"700 MHz" band.  Similar happened over 20 years ago, when channels 70 -
83 were eliminated to make room for the then new cell phone service.