[OT] HDTV recommendations?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Jun 13 15:59:35 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 11:23:31AM -0400, Thomas Milne wrote:
> I don't know, I looked on Red Flag Deals, Canada Computers, went to
> manufacturers website, and I found only one TV that was under $500 and had
> 1080p resolution. There were definitely none for under $400, unless I went
> for a brand like the one you described above. I read many of the reviews for
> the obscurely branded TV's and found a lot of extreme disappointment.
>
> Admittedly we did rush a bit due to certain circumstances, but I find it
> hard to believe we got hosed on this one.

I would take a no name brand with 1080p over a name brand 768p any day.
There are some things too horrible to put up with no matter who made it.

Had it been a true 720p then I would have to think about it and the name
brand might win.  Scaling 1080p and 720p to 768p is an awful thing to do.
It just works out badly.  720 scales to 1080 by a 3:2 factor.  Nice and
simple.  Same in the reverse.  720 to 768 is a 15:16 pixel ratio.
That's not nice at all.  1080 to 768 is a 45:32 pixel ratio.

--
Len Sorensen