[OT] HDTV recommendations?

Thomas Milne thomas.bruce.milne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Jun 13 15:23:31 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 11:07 AM, Lennart Sorensen <
lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 11, 2011 at 10:15:38PM -0400, Thomas Milne wrote:
> > We ended up getting this one, not in small part because we got a pretty
> > amazing deal:
> >
> > http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/LN32C450E1DXZA-features
> >
> > We found it at The Source, and since my wife works for Bell we got it for
> > $365.
> >
> > It's not 1080p, and it's only 32", but this is a second TV, for a
> 'playroom'
> > that our kids use primarily. We already have a 42" plasma in the main TV
> > room. That is connected to a PS3 that already has Netflix :)
>
> It's the worst possible kind of HDTV you can get.  It's the @#$@#$#@$
> 768 resolution shit.  Until people stop buying this crap they will keep
> making it.
>
> > I guess I lucked out, because it does have the ATSC tuner you mention. It
> > will very likely never be hooked up to an antenna, as it is hooked up to
> the
> > computer I just built, so with XBMC it can bring in Youtube as well as
> the
> > WD media server I have. Plus my daughter can apparently use this TV with
> her
> > iPod, though I haven't figured out how to do that yet. Eventually I would
> > like to bring in CBC maybe...
> >
> > The only thing that pissed me off is that I will have to buy a new cable
> for
> > audio. If you use an HDMI cable from a PC, you have to use a PC audio
> jack
> > to plug into the TV, you cannot use the regular AV audio inputs. Other
> than
> > that I'm not at all unimpressed.
>
> You can get a real 1080p display for that kind of money.
>
> I would NOT call that an amazing deal.

I don't know, I looked on Red Flag Deals, Canada Computers, went to
manufacturers website, and I found only one TV that was under $500 and had
1080p resolution. There were definitely none for under $400, unless I went
for a brand like the one you described above. I read many of the reviews for
the obscurely branded TV's and found a lot of extreme disappointment.

Admittedly we did rush a bit due to certain circumstances, but I find it
hard to believe we got hosed on this one.

--
Thomas Milne