Pan newsreader cannot be installed on Debian Sid

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Jun 7 22:00:23 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jun 07, 2011 at 03:56:27PM -0400, Daniel Wayne Armstrong wrote:
> Pan newsreader package in Debian Sid cannot be installed. It has a
> dependency for libgmime-2.0-2a ... but libgmime-2.4-2 is installed.
> This appears to be a known problem:
>
> http://qa.debian.org/debcheck.php?dist=sid&package=pan
>
> I tried downloading and installing all the other dependencies + the
> more-recent available version of libgmime - older version is not
> availble in Sid - and downloading and installing the pan package with
> a 'dpkg --ignore-depends=libgmime-2.0-2a -i pan_0.133-1.1_i386.deb'
> ... but it won't launch:
>
> $ pan
> pan: error while loading shared libraries: libgmime-2.0.so.2: cannot
>
> It *really* wants that libgmime-2.0-2a.
>
> Any suggestions how I might work around this? Thanks!

You could try:

apt-get build-dep pan
apt-get source -b pan

Maybe if you recompile it will compile against the new library version
and be happy.

Otherwise there isn't much you can do.  It is depending on an obsolete
library that you don't have, so it won't run.

Short of putting the obsolete library manually into /usr/local/lib there
really is no way around it.

Now having just tried the apt-get commands, that doesn't work, because
the build-dep includes that obsolete library.

Converting from gmime 2.0 to 2.4 seems non trivial unfortunately.
pan 0.134 is gmime 2.4 compatible (being 3 years newer than 0.133).
It appears to be labeled beta though and isn't packaged in debian.

Anyhow, I made a new package.  Find it at
http://www.tinyplanet.ca/~lsorense/debian/pan/

If you get the .dsc, .diff.gz and .tar.gz and put them in one directory
you should be able to build it with:
dpkg-source -x pan_0.134-0.0.dsc
cd pan-0.134
dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc -b
cd ..
dpkg -i pan_0.134*deb

If the dpkg-buildpackage fails with a list of missing dependancies,
well install those with apt-get install and try again.

My build for amd64 unstable is there too and it runs on my machine.

--
Len Sorensen