HDMI out to TV, no sound

Thomas Milne thomas.bruce.milne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Jun 5 17:05:40 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jun 5, 2011 at 12:42 PM, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> | From: Thomas Milne <thomas.bruce.milne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>
>
> | Another thing I just noticed about this video card. On the box, in very
> very
> | small print are the 'minimum requirements', which I normally don't pay
> much
> | attention to because it usually just talks about how I need Windows ;)
> | Anyhow, this one actually says I need at _least_ 2 GB of system memory. 2
> | GB!!?? Wow, I only have 1 GB, so I need to upgrade I guess...
>
> That cannot be a real requirement.
>
> Some (cheapish) cards need some main memory to use as a video frame
> buffer or texture buffer or whatever.  Sometimes called "shared" I
> think.  I think that my Acer Revos require 256M of RAM to be dedicated
> for optimal performance.
>
> You haven't definitely said what card you are dealing with.
> Is it the GeForce GT 520?  I think that that has dedicated (on-board) RAM
> and doesn't need any shared memory.

Sorry, yes, the GT 520. It does have 1 GB of video mem. Why would it say
that on the box, then? Are they in collusion with the RAM mfgrs? ;)

I just learned that the lockups I'm experiencing are likely the result of a
bug in Flash and/or Nvidia, a weird one that leaves the mouse cursor active
and the sound playing, but everything else is unresponsive. Apparently this
can be fixed with a BIOS update, which is fine I guess because this was
intended to be a learning experience :)

--
Thomas Milne