HDMI out to TV, no sound

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun Jun 5 21:30:37 UTC 2011

| From: Thomas Milne <thomas.bruce.milne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>

| Sorry, yes, the GT 520. It does have 1 GB of video mem. Why would it say
| that on the box, then? Are they in collusion with the RAM mfgrs? ;)

Maybe that's what they think you need to run something they supplied,
like a free game or DVD player.  Surely under Windows of some flavour.

You actually need less memory with this card than you do with cheaper
video controllers that do steal main memory.

| I just learned that the lockups I'm experiencing are likely the result of a
| bug in Flash and/or Nvidia, a weird one that leaves the mouse cursor active
| and the sound playing, but everything else is unresponsive. Apparently this
| can be fixed with a BIOS update, which is fine I guess because this was
| intended to be a learning experience :)

You said the F word.  All kinds of misbehavior can be blamed on Flash.
Including system insecurity.  Cross-platform insecurity!  And
forced-march upgrades.  It's so proprietary.  Just say no to Flash

I don't run Flash.  That means that I cannot figure out most Toronto
restaurant web pages.  A number of CBC website videos and audios are
not available either.  But my life is better for not having
Flash.

A BIOS update to fix a Flash bug is a bit strange.  Perhaps it is
actually a BIOS bug that manifests itself when running Flash.

OT: I'm reading about a lot of challenges running the default Ubuntu
11.04 and Fedora 15 desktops.  Both seem to require solid video driver
support that isn't available in many hw/sw combinations.  I think your
card + proprietary nVidia drivers works fairly well on these current
distro releases.  This is interesting:
<http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux_desktop_managers1&num=1>