Open Office licensing

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Jun 3 15:09:22 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jun 02, 2011 at 10:15:40PM -0400, Kyle Winkler wrote:
>  I don't think this really matters.  The non-Oracle employed community,
> along with all the Linux distros, are moving to Libreoffice.  OpenOffice
> simply wasn't getting where it needed to go fast enough.  We'll see if
> LibreOffice can fix this.
>
> If the Document Foundation people really want Oracle's new Apache-Licensed
> contributions, they could try to move to the GPLv3, which Apache is
> compatable with.  It would be difficult to do that with so many copyright
> holders, but it might work of the code is compelling enough.

The problem for Oracle of course is that they really want some of the
LibraOffice MPL/GPL contributions which they can't have this way.

Oracle really seems to be making huge mistakes in every decision they
make.  Amazing.  They are acting like a spoiled child.  If things don't
go their way and they eventually have to admit their way isn't working,
they still have to go and spite everyone some more in the process.

And given how much they don't like apache, this move just doesn't make
any sense.

--
Len Sorensen