possible router platforms

Alex Volkov avolkov-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Jul 15 17:13:24 UTC 2011

I too use old p3 Compaq with 384 megs of ram and root filesystem on Compaq
flash.

Since you can get an old PC with three PCI cards and  for thirty bucks I
don't see a point of using server grade hardware plus small fans are
increadibly  noisy and you will probably be restricted to low profile cards
only --  which is a bitch.

Also I have a particular disdain for pfsense as there seems to be little
development for it, it doesn't support IPV6 and you mostly restricted to the
software they expect you to use, you can install some of the things from
freebsd report but it too much work for what it supposed to be.

So I use debian with several network cards and one wireless that runs 802.11
by, plus I have an old and failing hard drive for torrenting. Also if you
want to go completely off the hinge you can get a couple of sun 100 mbit
quad port cards or a dual Intel Gigabit for about thirty dollars on eBay.

Sent from my mobile device.

http://www.jetway.com.tw/jw/ipcboard_view.asp?productid=174&proname=AD3RTLANG-LF

http://www.jetway.com.tw/jw/ipcboard_view.asp?productid=683&proname=AD3INLANG-LF