Rogers signal encryption [was Re: Intel SandyBridge... I don't get it.]

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Sun Jan 30 14:03:40 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 12:58:21AM -0500, John Myshrall wrote

> I think there will be a scat storm of complaints to the CRTC when
> they drop analog support without some sort of compensation like what
> was done in the US. I gonna guess that they encrypting the signal
> to prevent the use of cable splitters and get all TV's connected to
> be paying.

  The guidelines for the transition were set out in CRTC decision 2003-61.
See http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2003/pb2003-61.htm  Note that BDU
== "Broadcast Distribution Undertaking".  That's a generic term covering
cable/satellite/IPTV/whatever.  Paragraphs 56 and 56 of the decision...

55. 	In light of the concerns raised by the parties in this proceeding,
        the Commission concludes that, rather than setting a threshold
        level that would automatically trigger removal of analog services,
        it would be more reasonable to set a threshold at which it would
        be prepared to consider applications to discontinue the carriage
        of analog signals. The Commission has determined that a threshold
        of 85% penetration would be appropriate for such purposes.

56. 	Accordingly, the Commission concludes that:

    * A BDU may submit an application requesting the Commission's
      approval to cease the carriage of analog signals once 85% of the
      BDU's subscribers have the ability to receive digital services by
      means of digital television receivers or set-top boxes. The
      Commission will determine, at that time, the terms and conditions
      under which the analog services may be removed from the system.

  In plain English... once 85% of subscribers to a cable system have *AT
LEAST ONE DIGITAL BOX ON THEIR ACCOUNT* a cable system may apply to the
CRTC for permission to drop analogue.  This includes households with 4
or 5 TV sets and 1 digital box.  Rogers' 3rd quarter report at
http://www.rogers.com/cms/pdf/en/IR/QuarterlyReport/2010-Q3_Results-Release.pdf
page 13 has the numbers.  As of September 30, 2010 they had 2,309,000 TV
subscribers, of which 1,719,000 had some form of digital service.  That's
just over 74.4%, versus approx 70.9% same time 2009.

  At this rate, they could make 85% by the end of September, 2013, and
almost certainly by the end of 2013.  When they start renting/selling
digital boxes for really lowball prices, you'll know they're getting
close to that magic 85% number.