Rogers signal encryption [was Re: Intel SandyBridge... I don't get it.]

John Myshrall jmyshrall-v+ARZjKqHIj3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Sun Jan 30 05:58:21 UTC 2011

On 11-01-29 05:11 PM, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> | From: John Myshrall<jmyshrall-v+ARZjKqHIj3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org>
>
> | The basic channels 2 - 28 and some other ones are not encrypted.
> |
> | It doesn't matter if you have VIP those channels will come in without a roger
> | box on a tv with a digital or analog tuner (for now).
>
> That certainly isn't the case here.  An analogue tuner will work for 2
> to 28 (and more, depending on your subscription).  But a digital tuner
> just plain won't work unless it is a Rogers STB.

My RCA 2 tuner set in my basement doesn't receive more that the basic
cable although I have a package that gives me more channels.

> | I have both here where I
> | live and some packaged that is between VIP and basic. I got it the better deal
> | because I threaten to switch. My Analog TV will not get the VIP service and
> | neither would my 24 LCD Samsung. They both got the basic channels albeit 1
> | digital and the other analog.
>
> If your Samsung is getting 2 to 28 without the aid of your Rogers STB,
> it must be using its NTSC (analogue) tuner, not its ATSC (digital)
> tuner.  An ATSC tuner can do nothing with a Rogers signal.

Strange because my set makes no mention of an analog tuner only a
digital tuner. I went back on line to check specs and low and behold it
does have an analog tuner as well.
When I scan the channels without the Roger's box my set says channels
are scrambled and now removing scrambled channels.

Rogers is using QAM but it's limited mostly to music.
http://www.remotecentral.com/hdtv/rogers.htm

I think there will be a scat storm of complaints to the CRTC when they
drop analog support without some sort of compensation like what was done
in the US. I gonna guess that they encrypting the signal to prevent the
use of cable splitters and get all TV's connected to be paying.

> I don't know what exactly you (or Rogers) mean by "VIP".  They brand
> "products" and change them faster than I pay attention.  But I think that
> I've got it.  I get lots of analogue signals above 28 and none is
> encrypted.  Analog encryption ("scrambling") seems to have disappeared.

I too get lots of channel above 28 but that is the basic package. PBS,
OLN, PAC & APTN to name a few.

> Premium movie channels etc. are not available in analogue, even if you
> subscribe.
>
> | I caved and go another SD box for $49.00.
>
> Good price.  I just paid exactly that to get my HD box fixed -- bad
> power supply.  I wouldn't be surprised if your box has the same power
> supply.

John