Intel SandyBridge... I don't get it.

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun Jan 30 04:24:43 UTC 2011

Kevin Cozens wrote:
> With all the talk of going digital for TV broadcasts, I do wonder how
> the signals on cable TV may be affected at some point. I hope Rogers
> won't drop all analog signals off the cable but I don't think I would
> be too surprised if I heard of plans to do that at some point. It
> would be a big hassle though for people with VCR's and DVD recorders.
> They would need lots of additional converter boxes and/or digital/HD
> tuners until the recorders come with HD compatible tuners in them.

I expect they will go digital, as analog signals consume a lot of
bandwidth.  Also, they have a lot of returned SD converts.  When I took
mine back, last year, there were stacks of them at the local Rogers
store.  One nice thing about the SD boxes, which I haven't seen on the
HD ones is the ability to schedule when it tunes to a channel.  This
works well with VCRs etc.