Intel SandyBridge... I don't get it.

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Fri Jan 28 03:31:20 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 04:41:05PM -0500, solarflow99 wrote
> isn't it true that in several months, all those analog cards won't
> work anymore?

  Most OTA (Over The Air) analogue broadcasts are shutting down in
Canada as of August 31 this year, barring last minute delays like they
had in the USA.  Analog stations...
* far away from the US border
* in isolated areas
* and no higher than channel 51
...will be allowed to keep going for a while.  This is mostly so that
low-power repeaters in isolated areas that run off microwave links can
continue and be replaced as they wear out.

  BTW, almost all the Toronto stations (notable exception of TVO) are
already running digital broadcasts in parallel with analogue.  Real
high-def is stunning.  Once you see it, you'll never want to go back to
analogue.  See http://www.remotecentral.com/hdtv/ fior a list of digital
TV stations that can be received in the Greater Toronto and Hamilton
area.  Some local channels will change physical frequencies on the
switchover date, and others will increase from low power to "full
power".  Pluse TVO will do a "flash cut" switch to digital.

  By the way, it's free and legal.  Rogers/Bell/etc don't get a
penny from me.  I believe that the current SUN TV will be shutting down
soon.