Interesting announcement

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 26 22:54:17 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 01:43:43PM -0800, William Park wrote:
> This brings up one of my pet peeves...  I can download .iso files for ARM or
> MIPS.  Then, what?  I don't have motherboard that I can play with.  Eg. For the
> longest time, I want to try Slackware version for ARM processor.  The only ARM
> hardware I can buy is "pogoplug" computer which has only USB and RJ45 port.
> Pretty much useless as desktop computer.

qemu comes to mind.

Also for hardware that can be bought, then openrd-client is pretty decent.
sata ports, lots of usb, vga, serial, ethernet, 1.2ghz arm, 512MB ram.

I expect in the next year or so to see a number of tegra 2 and tegra 3
devices, which will be rather impressive dual and quad core arm devices.

For mips, well there is things like:
http://www.amazon.com/Liberty-GDNBL10USK006-Netbook-Operating-System/dp/B0027IS8AM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1248683312&sr=8-1

Loongson 3a devices would be even more interesting (4 cores).

Other mips devices would be:
https://www.roc-noc.com/product.php?productid=209
It would need USB for storage if 16MB flash isn't enough though.
Not meant to be a PC after all.

--
Len Sorensen