midi on ubuntu?

Matt Price moptop99-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 26 19:43:08 UTC 2011

Hey folks:

sorry for hte long delay, fabio.  I figured out that the usb out was
actually just for power -- oops! -- and I needed to hook up a usb-midi
converter to get the midi signal out.  Did that, now it seems to be working
(see below)

Really all my daughter wants to do is some minimal practicing -- that is,
she wants ot be able to hear some notes when she presses the keys on the
keyboard.  More complex stuff may come after I guess.

So, the question:  what software should I install for her?  In rosegarden, I
can see the midi events on the midi transport, but I don't see how to hear
any sounds.  muse won't run, complains about a missing midi sequencer (and
anyway, the two use incompatible versions of jack on ubuntu).

I *don't* want to trash pulse -- if only because I've spent years fighting
with alsa & jack in the past, and now I mostly just want to be able to
listen to my music on banshee or amarok or gogglesmm without writing
.aconfrc files & such.  But I am certainly willing to run qjackctl under
pasuspender while my daughter's practicing. But surely there's a simple way
just to listen to the output of the keyboard in some straightforwardway?
I'm trying qsynth right now but it doesn't seem to be working.  Again, any
help appreciated!  thanks,
matt