midi on ubuntu?

Fabio FZero fabio.fzero-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 18 13:54:01 UTC 2011

Short answer: it will work, go ahead and install Jack. :-)

Long answer: Most USB MIDI controllers these days are class-compliant
devices. This means they don't really need drivers to work on all
modern operating systems. This also applies to many USB soundcards
(better saying: soundbricks, since they're external), although the
number of supported features may vary - especially if you have a more
professional one with several I/O options.

As for software, you'll probably need Jack anyway. Also try to find a
low latency or realtime kernel in the repository, as it will make the
sound system much more responsive. And don't forget to trash
PulseAudio immediately. It serves no purpose and WILL screw everything
up sooner or later.

- Fabio