AMD vs. nVidia binary driver?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 24 18:29:09 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 06:27:18PM -0500, Kevin Cozens wrote:
> Part of the problem with trying to disassemble a video card driver would
> be in understanding what its doing when it pokes at registers in the
> on-board graphics card chips.

Of course.  Reverse engineering such a complex system is hard.  I am
not going to do it. :)

> Take a look at the Open Graphics Project:
>     http://wiki.opengraphics.org/tiki-index.php
>
> It still has a way to go but should address the issues you raised (eventually).

I never got the impression they were really getting anywhere.  An FPGA
is not going to get anywhere near the performance of a modern cheap
video card.

Specifications from AMD/ATI for current hardware is much more productive
I believe, assuming that's going as well as they claim it is.

--
Len Sorensen