AMD vs. nVidia binary driver?

Kevin Cozens kevin-4dS5u2o1hCn3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Fri Jan 21 23:27:18 UTC 2011

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> Well if someone wants to disassemble their driver, they can try.
> It is huge.  Making sense of the assembly would be very hard.

Part of the problem with trying to disassemble a video card driver would be
in understanding what its doing when it pokes at registers in the on-board
graphics card chips.

> The Mesa project does seem to have done some decent work on 3D drivers,
> but how they compare to what nvidia is doing, I have no idea.  Hopefully
> someday openGL and 3D in general will be a generic commodity and hardware
> makers can go back to making better hardware and not worrying about
> driver optimization secrets.

Take a look at the Open Graphics Project:
     http://wiki.opengraphics.org/tiki-index.php

It still has a way to go but should address the issues you raised (eventually).