[OT] I/O panel for case/motherboard

Thomas Milne tbrucemilne-TcoXwbchSccMMYnvST3LeUB+6BGkLq7r at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 18 17:52:39 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 12:03 PM, Colin McGregor <colin.mc151-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 12:02 AM, Thomas Milne
> <tbrucemilne-TcoXwbchSccMMYnvST3LeUB+6BGkLq7r at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> In the instructions for a new case it talks about what to do if your
>> motherboard does not correspond exactly with the default 'I/O panel'.
>> It says one should contact the manufacturer of their motherboard for a
>> proper replacement.
>>
>> I have an Asus motherboard, so I went to the Asus site, but can find
>> nothing on there about where to find these items.
>>
>> Anyone know where these can be obtained?
>>
>> Many thanks!
>
> I am a little unclear as where your problem is and how to help. It
> used to be motherboard IO ports followed one fairly standard layout
> and case manufactures punched holes in their cases to match that
> layout. Then the motherboard makers started integrating extra features
> onto the motherboard and the number and layout of holes needed started
> getting ... interesting. To cope with this the case makers left a
> rectangular hole in the back of the case that would come with a
> snap-out IO panel (that corresponded to the old generic layout) and as
> required the motherboard makers would when required include a small
> replacement IO panel.
>
> So, if you have a new case into which you are moving an old
> motherboard, just remove the old IO panel from the old case along with
> the motherboard (a little careful work with a small flat bladed
> screwdriver should make the IO panel pop right out of the old case).
> If you have a new motherboard and a new case, well, the IO panel
> should be tucked somewhere in with the motherboard packaging. If the
> IO panel wasn't included with a new motherboard I would complain to
> the retailer.

Actually, you understood perfectly :-)

It is an older MoBo that was given to me, and as you guessed a new
case. I checked and sure enough the I/O panel very easily snaps out to
leave a rectangular opening as you said. I'll check the MoBo box again
and see if I missed something.

This is my first time putting together a system from components (no, really??).

--
TBM