[OT] I/O panel for case/motherboard

Colin McGregor colin.mc151-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 18 17:03:15 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 12:02 AM, Thomas Milne
<tbrucemilne-TcoXwbchSccMMYnvST3LeUB+6BGkLq7r at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> In the instructions for a new case it talks about what to do if your
> motherboard does not correspond exactly with the default 'I/O panel'.
> It says one should contact the manufacturer of their motherboard for a
> proper replacement.
>
> I have an Asus motherboard, so I went to the Asus site, but can find
> nothing on there about where to find these items.
>
> Anyone know where these can be obtained?
>
> Many thanks!

I am a little unclear as where your problem is and how to help. It
used to be motherboard IO ports followed one fairly standard layout
and case manufactures punched holes in their cases to match that
layout. Then the motherboard makers started integrating extra features
onto the motherboard and the number and layout of holes needed started
getting ... interesting. To cope with this the case makers left a
rectangular hole in the back of the case that would come with a
snap-out IO panel (that corresponded to the old generic layout) and as
required the motherboard makers would when required include a small
replacement IO panel.

So, if you have a new case into which you are moving an old
motherboard, just remove the old IO panel from the old case along with
the motherboard (a little careful work with a small flat bladed
screwdriver should make the IO panel pop right out of the old case).
If you have a new motherboard and a new case, well, the IO panel
should be tucked somewhere in with the motherboard packaging. If the
IO panel wasn't included with a new motherboard I would complain to
the retailer.

Colin McGregor