3TB and Linux?

William Park opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Fri Jan 14 06:52:06 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jan 05, 2011 at 08:18:34AM -0800, William Park wrote:
> Anyone using 3TB harddisk on Linux?
> Do you have to use any special PCIe card or vendor supplied drivers?
> Is the disk on SATA port or USB port?
>
> Specs for WD 3TB disk says that Linux needs special PCIe card (hinting
> that it's chipset issue) which ships with the WD 3TB disk.  But, specs
> for Hitachi 3TB disk doesn't mention about requiring special PCIe
> card, but does mention whole other things about GUID partition table,
> UEFI BIOS, etc.

Okey, I bought Hitachi 3TB 7200rpm 6Gbps.  It seems that GNU "parted" is
the only program that can handle its size.  It complains that /dev/sdg1
is not aligned properly, until you move the beginning to 1MB.  Don't
understand, and too messy.

Since this will be "backup" disk, I decided to use the entire disk
/dev/sdg without partitioning.  It's going well.
--
William