3TB and Linux?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 5 22:26:51 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jan 05, 2011 at 05:22:09PM -0500, Giles Orr wrote:
> Today, a 2TB drive is "big."  In 1994 a 2GB drive was "big."  At that
> rate, we can expect 2PB drives around 2027 and you'll be wanting LBA64
> considerably before that arrives.  Preparing for the future doesn't
> hurt, and doing it well in advance is a lot less painful than doing it
> under pressure (witness IPv6 ...).

We will see if SATA survives until 2027.  It just might.  Of course we
might get a new interface more suited to SSDs than SATA by then.

Certainly a number of new controllers support LBA64 already (Some did
5 years ago).

> [Of course I'm making dozens of assumptions: exponential increases in
> storage size will continue, sector sizes won't increase, etc.  But I
> think the main argument stands.]

Sector sizes are already increasing to 4k on a number of drives.
SSD especially wants to change the sector size.

--
Len Sorensen